Sunday, November 9, 2014

True story




Today was the annual tweed ride in Durham. My friend joked that tweed was an assault on the eyes. I would rather think about it in more pro-life ways.

Let's just state the obvious fashion sensibility. Tweed styles often have a practicality that lends itself to cycling. My tweed pants are all cuffed higher than my chain ring. And you know how cyclists like their socks.

There's something to be said for the message that a costumed group ride makes. Drivers have been known to react badly to cyclists in team kit, but everyone we saw today thought we were in a parade. It made cycling appear to be the super fun, relaxed, happy pastime that it actually is.

The cemetery is a seemingly awesome place to hangout, given the right crowd. I'm thinking 100 cyclists dressed in tweed carrying pannier picnics is just that crowd. This picture bespoke my feelings about road safety for commuters. I have often thought to wear a jersey emblazoned with "MOM" in order to impede the anger of motorists.

I get impassioned when a driver feels compelled to pass at a way-too-close distance. Why would you do that? Do you know you are threatening my life? Do you mean to threaten my life? Why the profanity?

I'm not sure today meant a lot more than an excuse to ride bikes in costumes, but we got a lot of positive feedback from cars. This is a new experience for me.

Here, enjoy some more pictures on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment