Thursday, September 17, 2015

BikeMS

I spent two day riding a long, slow, many miles. I changed tubes and sat with fallen riders. I pulled when single riders wanted to join groups. I thanked volunteers and policeman. I love meeting riders who have ridden every year for 27 years next to the newbies. You get a pass if you're on a bike. Further, a bike in a charity event gets you double miles with me.

The most humbling part of riding in a charity event is to be served by those you intend to serve. After all, I was the volunteer.

I was not prepared for some conversations.  I met a woman in a wheelchair who controlled her movements by a joystick near her mouth. I was not prepared for a dad with teenaged twin daughters checking to make sure I had sunscreen ... from his wheelchair. I was not prepared to accept more fritos from somebody suffering from more pain than me. I was in the middle of my second century ride in as many days, but I couldn't imagine their suffering.




http://ift.tt/1FQiw0p

No comments:

Post a Comment