Thursday, October 23, 2014

n+1

One of my greatest friends in this life came to visit last weekend. I wanted to give her the quintessential Fall in North Carolina tour, so we took a road trip with the kids up to Stone Mountain.

{sidebar: I know cars are lame. I am with you on that. We only had a few days. AND, baby girl just learned how to ride two wheels. She's not making it up any mountain this week. Allow me this road trip, ok?}



We took our bikes on this road trip because you never know when you're going to need a bike. We left about 7am so we could stop at a great bike shop in Winston-Salem. 



You're going to need some background information about how my boy loves bikes.

He got a new bike this summer after he put in his time behind the lawn mower. He got an awesome Torker Interurban from Seven Stars. He rides the bejeesus out of it.

On the first day of riding it, he popped a tube when he ran smack into the front steps. This was also the day he learned to change a tube.

When I announced it was time for shoes, 7yo spoke up that he had forgotten his. This makes me giggle, because who is this boy if not my son? We get out of the car and I remember that he's still in his pajamas because we left so early. {more chuckles}

We roll up into the store and it was like children in a candy store. Actually, imagine that three mini-me's entered a bike shop. It was like that. Those three kids took off for helmets, beanies, bikes, bells, and water bottles all at once.

This is when it happened. Baby blues of wonder-- cycle capped, pajama bottomed, and barefooted...

7: Mom, I need a mountain bike.
Me: You just got a bike in summer. That thing rocks.
7: Yea, but I need another one. Look at this one.
Me: What are you even talking about?
7: Look, its a Kona.
Me: Can you lift it over your head?
7: Will you buy it for me if I can lift it over my head?
Me: We already have 4 bikes on the rack.
7: We can put it inside the car.
Me: We have one inside the car, plus our camping stuff. Let me see you lift it over your head.
7: {grunting} see?
Me: Not today.
7: Next time?
Me: Probably.

Rule #12
// The correct number of bikes to own is n+1 ~velominati

No comments:

Post a Comment