Saturday, July 18, 2015

MS150 - New Bern

I signed up to marshal the MS150 in New Bern this year. The organizer of the marshals asked me how MS has touched my life. The simple answer is: I don't know anybody with MS. I have several friends with moms who have MS. But no, I've not met them.

There was a day that I collapsed at work. My knees left me, and I couldn't get up. I had sheering, paralyzing pain through my shoulders. My family came to get me from work and took me to the doctor. The symptoms had abated, and the guy offered me a bunch of muscle relaxers. That's not my bag, so I went to get another opinion.

This new doctor interviewed me for almost an hour. She asked me about my life, my habits, my family. She listened. I cried. At the end, she had some ideas. First step was blood work. My blood work came back perfect - healthy liver function, good iron, great cholesterol levels. This is when she suggested that I start the tests to rule out MS.

This is the scary part. Things were bad at home. My husband was having an affair and not working at the time. I asked him how we could find the $1k to meet my insurance deductible. I was scared, and I needed not just his financial support but some emotional support. He laughed at me.

What could have happened if different parts of this nightmare had been true? Let's not think too far down that story because it isn't mine. I'm divorced, and I'm healthy. MS didn't touch my life, and I am so thankful.

I ride charity rides because I can. I love the sport of cycling. I know the importance of spirit, attitude, and ambition. If you're not riding, please support the riders who are. If you're riding, I'll see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment