Saturday, August 13, 2016

Bag Lady

My mother has trained my daughter in the art of putting things in a bag to carry them. My daughter has as many bags and purses as my mother. The humor here is that I have so few. I will go out of my way to not carry a purse that I will leave things I *might* need. If the likelihood of needing the item is less than 100%, there's a good chance I will leave it at home. I try to carry very little baggage. Weekend in south Texas? A purse with a bathing suit, a dress, and sandals is plenty. For everything else, there is retail shopping and shipping.

Something amazing happened on the bus -- AGAIN. Let me set up the logistics a little. My car was at the office. Sometimes I leave it there and bike home.  Enter the drama.

I'm headed to south Texas and I really have only my bathing suit, a dress, and sandals. I'm a little panicked because I tried to drive my car home last night. Mental recall of events tells me that I must have dropped my wallet with my car keys on the bus yesterday morning. I'm headed to work before going to the airport. The bus company is closed so I leave a message. There's nothing more to be done except cancel the cards and replace the keys. Replacing car keys can be really messy (read: expensive). In this particular model, you have to have it towed to a dealership and have a new key programmed. All in, we're looking at ~$1k. GAH. Deep sigh. Mantra, "it's just money."

I'm about to accept my fate, leave my car at the office for the weekend, and fly out when you know what happened? I got a phone call from the bus company. Somebody turned in my wallet. It was light a little cash, but it had the very expensive key and all of my cards.

My love-hate bus pendulum swings back to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment