Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Gifts


For a variety of reasons, I found myself walking to and from the school a lot today. Part of my story is my son. He is wonderful and challenging. He is as hot as the sun. He's mesmerizing with his brains and beauty, but he can't always keep his emotions between the lines. Bit like his mama.

This morning was a hard one, but then on the way home he found a butterfly. It had died where it flew, and he spotted it perfectly in tact. His brother protected it until we got home. His sister kept the dog from eating it.

Did I mention he had poetry homework? Here is what he wrote...

I am a smart boy who like sharks
I wonder what life will be like for our descendants who will live thousands of years from now
I hear my fan at night
I see a good life ahead with lots of mistakes and successes
I want to have an impact on those around me
I am a smart boy who likes sharks

I pretend that I am well known and revered in the world
I feel powerless when I hear about loss
I touch other people’s lives when I do something for charity
I worry that life will pass me by without me doing anything
I cry when I hear about how much poverty there is in the world
I am a smart boy who likes sharks

I understand that I can’t do something for everything that happens in the world
I say that I can do almost anything if I put my mind to it
I dream that there were a decent life for everybody
I try to make an impact on my peers
I hope that life will get better for everybody

I am a smart boy who likes sharks

No comments:

Post a Comment